Sunday, April 27, 2014

Goats?

Yeah, I'm getting goats.

Today, probably.

Wanted to just get one dairy goat to milk and then freeze the milk, just in case of an emergency with my lambs. BUT ends up I might be getting two goats haha...
The family I'm getting them from is moving out of state due to the husband's job.
They treat their goats extremely well and seemed genuinely sad to see them go.

Turns out goats are kind of like pigs, in the social sense. You can't just get one, because it will destroy the fencing trying to escape.

Anyway, I'm getting a 10 month old doe who is pregnant and due to kid in August. Hopefully.
I was originally gonna stick with JUST her, but this doe's mother is extremely attached to her baby.
So I will probably have to get the mother as well. She's about 8 or so, and currently in milk.
She came from an abusive and strenuous home, and was once hit so hard, she now has a crooked jaw.
She was then rescued and has been with her 'now' owner for about 3 years.

So I'll be getting a young goat, and an older one with a lot of character haha

This is the 10 month old doe.
She's 50% Nigerian Dwarf, 25% Alpine and 25% Nubian.

This is the 8 year old. You can't see her crooked face in this picture.
But you can get a pretty good idea of what she looks like?
She needs a good home to retire.
She's 50% Alpine, and 50% Nubian.

1 comment:

  1. More babies! They look wonderful. Can't wait to meet them. Gramma and Auntie Kate and Ma

    ReplyDelete